Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Red Roads

"But those red roads are so funny.  When we got into the train at Charlottetown and the red roads began to flash past I asked Mrs. Spencer what made them red and she said she didn't know and for pity's sake not to ask her any more questions."
-Anne of Green Gables


I've returned from my Prince Edward Island trip (though I didn't want to leave).  The island is every bit as beautiful as one would gather it to be from reading L.M. Montgomery's work.  The red roads are truly spectacular.  They pop out from the emerald fields and run for miles all around and over the rolling hills.


I had to look up what causes them and I don't think understanding the science behind them makes them any less magical to look at.  Most of PEI is made up of wonderful red sandstone.  Over time, the stone is eroded by wind and water and broken down into the soil.  Iron is what causes the red colour.  Apparently, it's not only beautiful but ideal for growing potatoes, grains and other crops.


I collected a bag of the reddest soil I could find and it's now inhabiting a jar on my bookshelf next to my Montgomery books.  

Over the next month or so I'm going to be posting all about my trip.  I took over 400 photos and I hope you'll enjoy them!

1 comment: