Sunday, April 3, 2011

Visiting Avonlea Village: Part Two

If you haven't seen Part One, Check it out too!

One of the most clever sets in the village was the covered bridge.  It was on tracks close to the post office so that it could be moved on to the road when needed and then moved off to the side.  It was a great use of the limited space available.

The blacksmith's shop was a very detailed set.  It was amazing to see all the dressing and props that made it look so authentic.

The lighthouse was a crucial set.  It really helped make the village believable as a seaside location. There was a full-size lighthouse which was visible from the road and also a smaller stunt version which made it easier to get close-ups of actors at the top.  It was also used when someone had to be thrown or fall from the top.

I was really impressed with the design and construction of all the sets in the village.  We were fortunate to see some of the process on our visit.  The left side of this photo shows the Cannery facade and on the back of that the crew is building what would become Jasper Dale's house.  

Obviously, one of the huge highlights (of many) during the visit was being able to stand on the porch of Rose Cottage.  This house was almost as important as Green Gables itself.  It was neat to be able to see the small wallpapered area inside the front door that lead to nowhere!

Peg Bowen's shack was another really great set.  There was a lot of detail with great stuff hanging from the trees and interesting papers on the interior wall.  

The "main street" area with the general store and post office was yet another highlight.  There was so much detail that it didn't feel like a set.

Our tour guide for the day was Dan Matthews who served as location manager on Road to Avonlea and Wind at My Back.  Matthews has been a long-time employee at Sullivan Entertainment and most recently worked on the high definition restoration of Anne of Green Gables.

This last image is a scan from an issue of TV Guide shortly after Road to Avonlea ended its seven-year run.  I'm so grateful that I was able to see these amazing sets before they were destroyed.

2 comments:

  1. I realize these posts are older, I hope my message reaches you. I can't believe it has been 30 years since this wonderful series was on television!
    I loved this show in my early 20's and now at 52 I still watch the shows every spring...over and over. I never get tired of it and I wish that someone would bring back the show with all the King children grown up and with their own families, to star in their own adventures.
    If I ever win the lottery, Rose cottage would be the house I build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do a re-watch as well. Originally, I planned to do episode reviews of every episode.

    ReplyDelete